Randomtivity

Thursday, August 03, 2006

alright already

well, this isn't so much the story of dude and me as more of an explaination as to why i called him that in the beginning.

i haven't really dated that much - i haven't the patience for what my sister and i call 'bullshit dating' and i guess i wasn't all that worried about it - but i won't go into all my 'issues' right now.

anyway, in highschool and college, there were a few guys around but nothing serious. there were a few dates. after i graduated there were fewer guys because where do you meet them and how do you hide the fact that you live with your mother? so, life went on and friends got married and i said to myself 'you are almost 30 years old, it is about time you do this dating thing'.

then this past thanksgiving dude came along he had asked me out and i agreed to go and i only told one soul (a very trusted co-worker). i was excited but i was also very, very nervous.

so the day of the date arrives and i still haven't told my mother (with whom i live) and i was hoping she wouldn't come home until after i left.

of course that didn't happen.

mom comes home while i am waiting and she starts with the chit chat 'how was your day? what did you do? what are you doing now? why are you dressed up?' and so to pretend like it wasn't a big deal i say 'i have a date with a dude'. yep, that is what any mother wants to hear. 'a dude' she says while she opens her eyes wide and questions my use of the word dude. 'yeah, a guy from work. it's no big deal but i don't want to talk about it right now.' all the while i have turned into some sweat factory because i cannot control my nerves. dude finally arrives and our first date commences.

a few days later we go out again and the following night he comes over to watch a movie. i email my mother to let her know 'dude is coming over to watch a movie' and she writes back 'am i supposed to call him dude?'. no mom, his name is josh.

we have now been together for 8 months and i no longer refer to him as dude.


last night we had dinner with my dad's side of the family and josh met them for the first time. my sister, my grandparents and josh and i arrived all at the same time. my mom and two cousins soon followed and when my uncle and aunt got there, they sat at the far end of the table and my grandmother turns to my uncle and says 'this is josh, anna's friend' my mom repeats this information for some reason and at this point i turned to josh and say 'you are my friend'.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home